Questions for Your Physician
Before an ACL
reconstruction, and after an ACL tear, the following days are usually
full of doctors visits, MRI's, X-rays, and lots and lots of questions.
If you have been in this situation, you know what I am talking about.
orthopedic surgeons are very busy, and they usually don't spend a lot
of time with their patients in the clinic. They will answer your
questions, but unless you know what you are going to ask them, it is
hard to remember them all.
are lots of
decisions that need to be made after an ACL tear, and before an ACL
I have outlined some of the many questions you should
talk over with your physician before your surgery.
is not a complete list, but just a starting point to get you thinking
about all of the things that go with an anterior cruciate
- What type of graft will be used?
- What are the benefits/drawbacks of this graft type?
- Do you specialize in knee surgeries?
- How often do you do ACL reconstructions?
- Do you use a post-operative brace for your patients?
- How long will I have to wear the brace?
- How long will I be on crutches?
- How soon after surgery will I start rehabilitation?
- Can I do exercises at home before starting rehab?
- How long will I be in rehabilitation?
- Are there any major complications with an ACL reconstruction
- How long before I can drive again?
- When can I return to work?
- When can I play sports again?
of these questions are important, not only for the
success of the surgery, but to set your mind at ease before and after
the surgery. Your physician should be able to answer all of these
questions, and will be more than happy to...all you have to do is ask.
this list to start, and then add other questions that you think of as
you prepare for your ACL surgery. Write them down, and take them
with you for your pre-operative visit.
ACL Surgery Stories
you have had an ACL reconstruction, or are getting ready for this
surgery, I want to hear your story. Whether you have questions you want
answered, or just want to share your experience, this is the place for
Didn't find what you were looking for? Search SII for more information...
Running Pain Solutions
The key to getting rid of minor aches before they become major pains is a simple, total body prevention program.
Written for Runners by a runner, you'll learn a holistic approach to improving mobility, restoring normal movement and muscle activation patterns, and restoring the body and mind connection.
This Kindle Book contains a step by step program to keep you running pain free. Included are detailed instructions and illustrations for exercises to improve mobility, balance,
neuromuscular control, strength and endurance. Only $7.49!
Get Your Copy Today!